While the human mind has the ability to multitask, sometimes it can feel fatigued or unable to think with its usual level of clarity. In these instances, we may lose the ability to focus and may end up feeling overwhelmed and confused. Some of the challenges faced as a result of this could be difficulty in paying attention, feeling distracted and disoriented, difficulty in remembering things or in making decisions. All of these are signs of feeling confused.
Feeling lost, overwhelmed or unable to focus can manifest in the following ways:
- Physical: Dizziness, rapid heart-beat, irregular breathing, headache
- Emotional/psychological: Low concentration and attention, feeling disoriented, low self-esteem, fear and anxiety, sadness, guilt
- Behavioral: Irritability, inability to perform tasks that require attention, substance abuse, inability to communicate effectively, difficulty with social interactions
These suggestions can be helpful in increasing focus better and feeling more in control of our life:
- Organizing the day: Setting a schedule for the day and attempting to follow it can help give order to our day. Calendar application on the smart phone or a day planner can help with this.
- Limiting tasks: Not committing to too many things at the same time and simplifying our schedule can help us focus on one task at a time and this can take the stress and confusion out of our day.
- Prioritizing responsibilities: Prioritizing personal and professional tasks on a day to day basis can help clear up some time in the day for ourselves.
- Time for self: It is a good exercise to do at least one thing in the day just for enjoyment.
- Meditation and yoga: Practicing yoga and meditation can both help with increasing focus and concentration.
- Exercising: Including regular exercise in our daily routine can be helpful for the mind and body.
- Quiet and relaxing time: It is a very useful practice to create some quiet time for ourselves where we can just do something calming for ourselves like focusing on our breathing.
- Hobbies: It can help to pick up a hobby and possibly even joining hobby classes with a friend.
- Sufficient sleep: Sleeping on time and trying to get seven to eight hours of sound sleep is very important for a calm and clear mind.
- Balanced diet: Eating a balanced diet is also very important for your physical and emotional well-being.
When experiencing these feelings of confusion, if the symptoms aggravate and you feel like you are losing control over your mind and life, please reach out to a mental health professional and seek help. iCALL offers free and expert counseling services you can avail of towards this end.