Fostering Strengths: A Certificate Course in Psychosocial Work with Adolescents and Young People
Bachelors in any Applied Social Sciences discipline* + Min. 3 yrs. of direct work towards psychosocial well-being of adolescents and young people
Masters in any Applied Social Sciences discipline* + Min. 1 yr. of direct work towards psychosocial well-being of adolescents and young people
*Applied Social Sciences disciplines include: Social Work, Psychology, Human Development, Education
Note: Preference will be given to individuals with experience and to those associated with an organization working towards psychosocial well-being of adolescents and young people.
Fostering Strengths is a training program initiated by iCALL, TISS in collaboration with Vishakha, an NGO in Rajasthan. Fostering Strengths caters to helping professionals engaged with issues of psychosocial wellbeing of adolescents and young people. The course aims to equip helping professionals with knowledge, perspectives and skills that are contextualized, evidence-based and multi layered.
Informed by a participatory, empowerment-oriented approach, the course is guided by a uniquely designed curriculum which combines intervention skills along with a rigorous research component. The course is application-based, draws from research and theory contextualized to Indian settings and is facilitated by a team of experts specializing in different areas of work concerning adolescents and young people.
- To help professionals develop a deeper understanding of psychosocial issues faced by adolescents and young people
- To acquaint professionals with perspectives and frameworks for conceptualizing psychosocial issues of adolescents and young people
- To help professionals learn psychosocial skills and interventions to work directly with adolescents and young people
- To help professionals build programmatic skills for engaging in preventive as well as interventive work with adolescents and young people
The course comprises of an on-campus residential institute & an off-campus practicum mode:
- 9 days of on-campus residential workshop mode
- 3 months of practicum component initiated within the professional’s organization/ setting which works towards psychosocial wellbeing of adolescents and young people
- Weekly supervision sessions during the practicum component
- 3 days of follow-up contact class (on-campus residential)
The course delivery will be in Hindi & English.
Course Thematic Areas:
- Background & perspectives for working with adolescents and young people in India
- Strengths-based counselling frameworks and techniques
- Gender & sexuality
- Interpersonal relationships: Peers, romantic relationships and family
- Academic and career-related concerns
- Substance abuse & addictions
- Self-care of helping professionals
- Suicidality and self-harm
- Project development and documentation
Dates & Application Procedure:
- The dates for the 10-day contact class are 30th April – 8th May 2019.
- If you wish to apply for this course, please fill out an application form at the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QR5PoFF3yb7mqrR2bcoaf8aOa3DaMH73GFmMR_n6fH4
- The last date of sending your application is 25th March, 2019.
- Telephonic/Skype interviews will be scheduled with shortlisted candidates.
- Selections will be based upon an evaluation of the purpose statement, professional experience, understanding of work and reflection on personal practice.
- The course organizers reserve the final right with respect to selection of participants.
Rs. 15,000/- per participant (a subsidized fee which is inclusive of tuition, course material, and meals for the duration of the course).
Alternatives for accommodation such as on-campus and off-campus hostels, TISS Guest
House, nearby hotels etc. will be suggested by us. The costs for the same is not inclusive in the course fees and will have to be borne by you. Also, accommodation for the suggested options is subject to availability.
Part-scholarship will be offered for 3 out of 20 seats. Please indicate in the application form if you wish to avail of it.
Note: No travel allowance or DA will be paid.
iCALL is a field action project initiated by the School of Human Ecology, TISS, which provides immediate, anonymous and professional counselling services over telephone and emails to individuals in psychosocial distress. iCALL also undertakes mental health outreach activities, capacity building and consultancy for corporates, educational institutions, government agencies, and NGOs along with generating research and publications with respect to concerns of adolescents and young people as well as for mental distress and counselling in general.
Founded in 1991, Vishakha has been a part of the Women’s movement in Rajasthan and has been working towards empowerment of Women, girls & youth through mobilization, capacity building & community led advocacy in rural & urban communities. Identifying gaps in psychosocial support available to young people, in 2013, Vishakha developeda “youth pertinent”, empowerment oriented counselling framework, delivered through a youth resource centre & counselling services in educational & training institutes, reaching over 1000 youth.
For any queries, contact:
Program Co-ordinator, iCALL
Contact: 022-25525600/ 022-25525599
Senior Research Officer, iCALL
You can also write to us at: email@example.com